Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Drift or Date TST

Continuing the 'book'

Nicole was exhausted. She had no idea how much energy giving birth and nursing a new born could be. She would drift in and out of sleep as the baby did. She completely lot track of time or what date it was. The truth was the Nick could only help out so much. He couldn't nurse the baby, and he was at work most of the time during the day.

The laundry piled up, the dishes (and she didn't even know where they came from) were overflowing in the sink, she couldn't remember the last time she took a shower or even ate a decent meal.

Nick walked in the door one night about three weeks after Bruce was born and found his wife and son curled up on the only clean spot available - the corner of the room. He gently knelt on the floor next to her and said, "Honey, you can't sleep on the floor."

Bleary eyed she looked up at him and whimpered, "I couldn't find another spot."

"Let me take care of that," he gently prodded. "I'll watch Bruce, you go take a hot bath."

Forty five minutes later she emerged feeling much better. She was still exhausted, but she was clean and relaxed. The first thing she noticed was that Nick had changed the sheets on their bed and taken her overflowing hamper out of the room. She wandered down the hall and heard water running in the kitchen and sound of dishes clanging. He had managed to make a minor dent in the pile of dishes and was softly humming to the baby.

"Why did it take me falling asleep on the floor to get you to help?" She asked.

"Because I'm a dummy and should have pitched in as soon as I saw you getting behind. I won't let that happen again."

To be continued.....



Linking up with my friend Josie at Two Shoes Tuesday where today's prompts were Drift and Date.

12 comments:

  1. I really like where this is going! Nick is waking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very nice turn of events. I want to believe that Nick had his act together as a husband and a father, that he cared and tried, at least I the beginning. I think any of us that have been mom's remember how exhausting those first weeks of little sleep are. He is a sweetheart for pitching in to help clean up and watch the baby long enough for her to have a shower. Nothing makes one feel better than a shower and clean sheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true.... every little bit they do is appreciated

      Delete
  3. sorry the web was acting like a jerk there for a minute....

    .... anyway, I'm kinda starting to fall in love with Nick.
    Don't go breaking my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to backtrack and read what came before! Hope that he will continue to do his share! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be great...but you can never tell!

      Delete
  5. He certainly has a lot to learn! I am surprised she hadn't exploded well before this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet husband. Can't wait to read more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great story, that I and I am sure lots of woman with their first child can relate to. Glad he became aware of the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. women, not woman - sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know you were here